What are the steps I need to follow to become a garden judge?
1) You must have been an AHS Member for at least 12 calendar months to begin training. (When you send in an application to become a judge at the end of your training, you must have been an AHS member for 24 calendar months.) **Eligibility will be determined before admitted.
2) * Very important: Before you take any workshops, read Chapters 1 and 2 of the Garden Judges’ Handbook Judging Daylilies in the Garden. Need the FREE PDF of the Garden Judges Handbook? Download it from the
3) Take Garden Judges Workshop I (approx. 2 hrs.) This is taught by instructors using a Power Point. Students must pass written, timed, open book, online exam with at least 70% to receive credit.
4) Take Garden Judges Workshop 2 (approx. 2 1/2 hrs.) This part of the class is taught in a garden, and students learn to evaluate registered cultivars and seedlings with accredited instructors. These workshops are offered at Regional Summer meetings and National meetings and at times, are sponsored by daylily clubs.
5) After completing both workshops, you must fill out and send an “Application for Appointment as a Garden Judge” to your RP (Regional President). Your RP will send the form to the Garden Judges Records chair, who will notify you of your appointment for a five-year term as a garden judge.